I can’t even say the fucking name right now. It’s like freakin’ Voldemort in Harry Potter, “he-who-shall-not-be-named”. So for the time being (perhaps for four years), I’ll be referring to “him” as “Orange Hitler”.
I’ve avoided the news as best I could today. My heart just can’t take it. First and foremost on my mind is my son, and the fate of Obamacare. Pre-existing condition rules, carrying insurance from job to job, covering a child on your insurance until they’re 26, ENSURING you have access to health care…all pretty damned important for a father when your child has Type-1 diabetes. I hadn’t allowed myself to think how Orange Hitler would affect the environment and climate change.
Gulp. Now I know. ONE FUCKING DAY IN as president-elect (throwing up in mouth right now), and announced likely Cabinet members include:
- Newt Gingrcih – Secretary of State. We’ll see if he’s as “diplomatic” (aka, an asshole) as he was as Speaker of the House
- Rudy Guiliani – Attorney General. Good. Fucking; God. This man, among all others in the campaign, distinguished himself for his bullshit rhetoric. Given how much of that we got during the campaign, that’s saying something.
- Chris Christie – Commerce Secretary — Are you fucking kidding me? Is he just picking EVERY scandal-ridden scumbag on the planet to fill his cabinet?
- Reince Priebus – Chief of Staff — Ah, so THAT’S why this piece of crap stuck with Trump throughout the campaign, as RNC head. Now he gets his reward. And it was Hillary that was getting accused of “pay-for-play”, all for the Clinton Foundation that did incredible charity work, and all without a shred of evidence.
It’s already so sad that climate science in the U.S. is looked down upon by so many. Half of America (and our president elect) are so vociferously anti-science. 1-day in as president-elect, and we have the following:
1) The head of Lucas Oil is the guy likely to lead the Dept of Interior, which manages federal lands, and is where USGS and other agencies are. A 74-year old business man with a focus on oil extraction…he’ll be in charge of national parks and other lands.
2) The head of the EPA is another business person, someone who is best known for leading climate-change denying work.
3) 1 day in, and a Trump administration has announced they are going to implement a hiring freeze on all Federal employees. The goal…squeeze down size of government by just letting employees get old, wither, and die, without replacing them. That is a huge impact, as without young scientists continually brought into the fold, you lose innovation and new perspectives.
4) A “de-emphasis” of climate-related science. What else can you say here? Let’s just stick our heads in the sand and IGNORE the greatest human-caused environmental catastrophe on the planet.
Under Bush, it was a dark period in that not only was climate change work “de-emphasized”, but for all those scientists working in the federal government, their work was often subject to ‘review’ by political appointees, with edits or publication restrictions if the results of the work didn’t agree with the anti-climate-change politics.
It’s the entire planet that suffers. Climate change advances under Obama are going out the door. And those who suffer the most will be future generations.