From Patrick Stokes, here’s a nice piece on why you are sometimes NOT “entitled to your opinion”. The point he’s making is that you are only “entitled” to an opinion that you can make a coherent argument for. He uses an example of anti-vaccination paranoia to make his point, where the manic anti-vaccine crowd doesn’t have a scientific leg to stand on. Science is science, fact is fact. If your opinion is based on conjecture, intuition, “faith”, or other factor not supported by the facts? Then you are NOT entitled to your opinion, when trying to argue against science and against fact.
Thus, a “Shut the Hell Up” topic for this post. As we enter the home stretch of the presidential election, it’s rather laughable to read some of the opinions of those on the right. Do you believe any of the following? If so, then please do everyone else a favor, and save yourself some embarrassment. Just Shut…the…hell…up.
- Obama Muslim? Obama a non-citizen? – Do I need to even mention these? Are you a disgusting, racist, pig-of-a-human being who believes Obama is not a citizen? Do you believe that historical newspaper reports and a birth certificate are simply part of some massive conspiracy? Are you a disgusting, racist, pig-of-a-human being who refers to Obama as “Barack Husein Obama” and believes he’s secretly a Muslim? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, PLEASE…SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- Evolution Denial – Science is based on theory. Theories are tested, with evidence either supporting or negating hypotheses. With evolution, the evidence is extremely clear, both in the fossil record, and in real-world, observable processes. Do you believe in creationism? I really don’t care if you believe some omnipotent, all-powerful entity created the earth and the universe, IF you can reconcile that in your own mind with the science. Do you believe evolution is false? Do you believe evolution is a “lie straight from hell”, like Paul Broun, quite possibly the most ignorant congressman in the U.S.? Do you belive the earth is just a few thousand years old? If so, then SHUT…THE…HELL…UP. Save yourself the embarrassment that’s sure to come whenever you open your mouth.
- Climate Change Denial – Possibly as soon as 5 years from now, the Arctic will be ice-free in the summer for the first time in at least 13 million years. The U.S. is about to set a record for its warmest year ever. Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels continue to rise, and the scientific evidence continues to overwhelmingly point to not only a warming climate, but a warming climate caused by anthropogenic activity. Do you believe climate change isn’t real? Do you believe scientists and liberals are involved in some unprecedented, massive conspiracy to somehow consolidate government power by pointing to climate change? Do you believe that climate change is occurring, but humans have nothing to do with it? If so…SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- Polls are politically biased – Just one week ago, before the debates, conservative talking heads and blogs were expressing outrage over the liberal bias of polls that showed Obama with a healthy and growing lead over Romney. Obama with a 6-point lead in Ohio? A 5-point lead in Florida? BALONEY, said those on the right! It’s a liberal conspiracy to discourage Republicans and depress voter turnout from the right!! One short week later, and an Obama debate flop has the poll trends strongly reversing towards Romney. Hey Rush? Do you still think the polls are biased toward Obama? How about you other buffoons and blowhards who scoff at polls when they show Democrats ahead? GMAFB. The very success and long-term continuance of polling entities depends on them being RIGHT. If they’re wrong, they are ignored in future elections and the polling group goes out of business. Are you one of those idiots who thinks political polls are purposely biased towards Democrats? Do you think there’s some conspiracy in the polls to depress Republican turnout? If so, then SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- 1997 Michigan was better than 1997 Nebraska - A bit off topic, but…do you believe the 1997 Michigan Wolverines would beat the 1997 Nebraska Cornhuskers? Do you believe the Wolverines were “robbed” when a perfect, 13-0 Nebraska team finished first in the coaches poll, while the Wolverines finished first in the AP poll? Puh-lease. The Nebraska ground game easily wears down the Wolverine defense, and the Blackshirts dominate the Wolverines. Final score if they’d have played? Nebraska 31, Michigan 13. Do you believe the Wolverines were the better team? Laughable! SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- Unemployment numbers manipulated by Obama and Liberals - Unemployment numbers out last week were good by any measure, with unemployment falling to 7.8%. Good news, right? Well, to nutjob conservatives, ANYTHING positive that could EVER be attributed to Obama has to be a lie! A liberal conspiracy! Clearly Obama has somehow influenced the unemployment statistics! Are you one of those conservative wackos who believes last week’s unemployment numbers were altered by Obama? Please, just SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- Romney Budget Miracle - Do you believe that you can simultaneously 1) Cut taxes 2) Maintain or raise military spending, and 3) balance the budget? Romney/Ryan seem to believe in such a formula for long-term fiscal sanity. Do you believe it’s possible? GMAFB….SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.
- Voter ID Regulations Are About Voter Fraud – Report after report show that voter fraud in the U.S. is insignificant. However, a number of states have pushed strict voter ID regulations, with Republican-led state legislatures and governors leading the charge to increase scrutiny of in-person voters. If in-person voter fraud isn’t an issue, if very few instances have been documented…why the push by Republican state legislatures to push for very strict voter ID laws? Under oath, I don’t think you’d even get most Republicans to say the laws are about curbing voter fraud. It’s about suppressing votes by minorities and other groups who historically lean very heavily towards Democrats. It’s a form of discrimination, it’s a form of racism, it’s about voter suppression. If you believe it’s actually about voter fraud? You’re an idiot…SHUT…THE…HELL…UP.